September 04, 2016

[Lego] Black light - #70790 Lord of Skull Spiders


"What is that THING?"
"The Lord of Skull Spiders - We can't outrun him."

Ah, the Lord of Skull Spiders - the villain for the start of the Bionicle Reboot back in 2015. While he was greatly overshadowed by the other Toa sets of the same year, after being neglected and the set retired this fellow ultimately became highly-sought by Bionicle fans when this Reboot ended earlier this year. Not because fans wanted all the remaining sets, but because he is a fundamental set for building the official model for Makuta - one particular build I will cover on this blog *eventually*.

By eventually I mean I already have finished this build after reverse engineering a limited number of pictures The LEGO® Company has provided to fans to recreate one heck of a clever built model. I just don't have any images ready yet - but hopefully you all can be patient with me as well because I might be as impatient and excited to showcase it as you guys are eager to see it.

Back to the Lord of Skull Spiders - man, he is one of the better Bionicle sets with Trans-Neon Orange. This is probably because he has Technic beams in this colour; it gives a good flow and balance between the neon and black. He is one of the very few Bionicle sets that looks physically better than on the box, which in a way is a shame because this sometimes occurs when LEGO® uses 3D renders on a box instead of pictures of the physical thing. Hmm, perhaps talking about LEGO® packaging in the past 25 years might not be such a boring topic to eventually cover on my blog...


I really appreciate the playfeature it has, similar to the Skull Scorpio, it has a play feature where the trigger is conveniently placed in the back of the build for easy access - it allows all the legs to move downward, giving this character to grab around stuff. However, because of this feature, posing becomes a little issue - and then you can understand why the Skull Scorpio has fixed legs, despite the negative feedback it received for having them. For the sake of capturing the images, I had to cheat a little bit by removing the rubber band temporarily, so I hope you guys don't mind that I did.

Until I cover the Makuta build from The Journey to One, I have already made a "schedule" on my archive for what's next to come. As of the time of this writing, all images are already prepared and finished except for Makuta himself. However, I will not throw them all on my blog yet - I prefer to split it and release them when I feel like to. This is also to make sure the amount of catching up for you guys won't be too much.

That's it for now - hopefully you guys are as excited as I am to see the following UV Black light posts. Of course, these won't delay any other blogposts because I simply write what and when I want to. I'll see you guys again next post!

No comments:

Post a Comment