June 29, 2015

[Lego] Borderlands 2 in Lego® - Constructor - Take 6! [Work In Progress]

Return back to Project Overview.


As promised, together with my update about the Hailfire Droid earlier today, here's the update post about the Constructor! There has been a handful of changes, especially in the form of consistency...

First of all, I would like to show an interesting fact that only recurring readers might know about my projects. I actually mention this in order to explain something about the consistency of several functions of the Constructor.


I do redesign the model several times. This also includes for my Hailfire Droid. This means that the current one you see is far from the original model I've built. A redesign of the model can either be the entire body, or just a part of it. Redesigns can also be a simple structure, mechanism or piece substitute. So the design process of my Constructor can be split in two "design cycles"; the first being the "original body" while the second is the "redesign body". Which basically means I've entirely disassembled the original body and created the redesigned one in about half a day. As you can see on the image above, there's a lot of the Constructor I actually don't show on my blog... I won't go there anymore consider I've explained it here (bottom paragraph) already.

Building a model like this is pure trial and error to me. I know how to build it when I just look at several images. How I have to build it exactly is just a matter of trying out things. I don't draw how to build something, I don't use notes at all or any digital software (in example, LDD). It all just comes naturally and spontaneous whenever I start with a pile of pieces. Basically I start with having something in mind and after a short while I have a proof of concept to present. After that I start perfecting the model consider I'm highly aware of all the flaws my model would have at that point.
A model is finished whenever it feels finished to me.

I would only use notes or digital software for projects that I would make in the future (in example, MK. 4 and MK. 5) purely to give my (often restless) mind some rest.

Back to the actual changes, shall we?


One of the first changes to mention is the redesign of the side panels. This has been one of the things that has been redesigned the most. It had seven (!) major changes until we see the one today. So in example, the (red) rubber bands in the previous one was actually an intentional placeholder to start the current redesign. The previous version had about thirteen rotating points. I managed to reduce it to about ten in this variant, while improving the ease for folding this entire mechanism (consider every extra balljoint and rubber band makes it harder to move things from a translation point because balljoints in general can move freely in all directions and rubber bands gives some pulling friction).


Perhaps another thing that you've might spotted from the start is the rocket barrage launcher (see the top right). I did redesign that entire segment as well. However, the shooter mechanism itself is still far from finished and the trigger method will be changed as well. The current launcher structure is the starting point for making the triangular shape of the entire barrage launcher itself.

The launcher structure can actually be removed entirely, leaving a small base where the barrage launcher is mounted on with a handful of pins. This makes for much easier transport, but also makes it much easier to build on the Constructor itself consider the base is some sort of standard that can hold several pins.

I actually had a different launcher model before, which I didn't make any proper pictures of. This was because it was a quick proof of concept build in preparation for the LEGO® Inside Tour.


Perhaps an image that was missing before on my blog, but here's a better look of the safety pneumatic valves and the safety switch. The area of the safety pneumatic valves will be adjusted over time, it still lacks some proper structural base where the entire part is mounted on. The safety button is actually much more secure on the body than the previous update though.

Next to these "major" updates I mentioned here, there has been some little adjustments in the entire structure of the Constructor's body as well. I've also made a few more starting points for the panels that will cover the framework - there's still a lot of starting points left to build before the panels are attached. Yes, I haven't build any of the panels yet, consider the entire shape of the Constructor is far from ready.

By the way, here's something important. Most people seem to think that my Constructor is much larger than my Hailfire Droid or Afterlord. This is because the images where I place all three projects together are poorly photographed in perspective, because I'm such a noob when it's about making pictures. So, in honor of breaking the rumor, here's some proper proof:


Comparison #1 - The Hailfire Droid compared to the Constructor.


Comparison #2 - The Afterlord compared to the Constructor.

So hopefully that solves the rumors...

That's it for this post. Don't forget to check the Hailfire Droid update as well. I'll see you guys next post!

No comments:

Post a Comment